Football Schedule

Football Schedule
Catch all the action at home or away

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Suspicious Superstitions & Their Role In Good And Bad Luck


By: Brittany London
HowSuperStit
When I was younger my house was being expanded so, there were ladders all around the house. Out of boredom my sisters and I decided to play hide & seek, but while looking for a hiding spot, my little sister ran under an open ladder only to later on slam her hand in a car door. This made me wonder about the causes of unlucky events in life to happen. Click ‘Read More’ to learn about karma, superstitions, and luck.

Whether you refer to it as karma, reaping, good luck or bad luck many people have thoughts about this phenomenon. Going under ladders, or black cats crossing your path, and even numerology are all types of superstitions that bring bad luck. Superstitions do not have to cause just bad luck though. Many of them can cause good or even great luck. “Some things like the cross bring us good luck because it can protect us in bad situations and the cross represents the Lord's presence and  a butterfly because it brings good luck as well and it represents our relatives who have passed away.”, said Mariah Mosby-Gee, a superstitious 6th grader at Northwest Middle School.

Superstitions have been around for a very long time. Now you may believe that spilling salt or the number thirteen may cause bad luck but for others,  leap years or pocket change may trigger their unlucky superstitious side. “I think that dimes are bad luck because they represent that the dead are trying to communicate with you and upside down crosses because they represent the devil and demonic or satanic rituals,” Mariah said.

Polls have shown that 27% of American people believe in these phenomenons. Most scientist are not apart of this percentage though. They believe that it is all in the head and created by the insecurities of reality. “Sometimes I do think that we go a little to far but, it depends on what it is that you believe in...666, black cats, four leaf clovers, umbrellas, and splitting poles are not to crazy because they have caused me bad and good luck. But these are the only ones I believe in and I know that these are not full of fantasy.” Mariah said, “other things like lucky socks or spilling salt cause me to agree with the scientist because a tangible piece of clothing can not possibly do something lucky for you. It was the event itself and salt is just seasoning.

Finding pennies, crossing your fingers ,beginners luck, and killing grasshoppers are all common superstitions carried out daily. Sometimes they are even done purposely to test the waters of karma and good or bad luck. “One time I tried to kill a grasshopper and see if I would get bad luck but nothing that I know of happened to me later.” Mariah said.

Superstitions are more common than we think. Breaking mirrors, knocking on wood, and  shooting stars are common things that everyday people do. The lucky and unlucky events and actions are what make up our lives. Watchout be very careful and feel free to leave a comment below about some of your suspicious superstitions or instances where you have experienced good luck, bad luck, or karma.

2 comments:

  1. I dont bounce balls in the house because my grandma said that you will get 2 years bad luck

    ReplyDelete